Prikazi knjiga

Re: Prikazi knjiga

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Tiny Books of the Resistance By Rachel Greenwald Smith

The new tiny political tracts promise to offer strong defenses against a violent status quo, but end up begging for a shred of liberal decency. Can’t we just talk?, they seem to plead, as the world hammers them into submission.

On the outside, they may be small, defiant, and cute, but inside they are one step weaker: they are dry, uninspired, and compliant.

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:34 pm

The Neoliberal Feminist Subject By Catherine Rottenberg

[Ivanka] Trump’s message is uncannily similar to that of several other much more positively received texts, including Megyn Kelly’s 2016 memoir Settle for More (recently released in paperback) and Anne-Marie Slaughter’s 2015 book Unfinished Business: Women, Men, Work, Family, a sequel to her 2012 Atlantic article. Reading Trump in conjunction with Kelly and Slaughter is a fascinating and disturbing exercise. First, all three tomes espouse the by-now-familiar notion of a happy work-family balance as the ideal of female accomplishment. Second, all three ultimately place the responsibility for social change on the shoulders of individual women. And, finally, each one reflects — and reproduces — a cultural-political landscape in which more and more domains of life are reduced to and understood through an economic framework. In her 2015 book Undoing the Demos: Neoliberalism’s Stealth Revolution, political theorist Wendy Brown refers to this sort of reductionism as neoliberal rationality, a dominant mode of governance that recasts social life as a business enterprise driven by financial calculation.

No longer deeply interested in the struggle for equal rights or for an end to gender discrimination, neoliberal feminism focuses principally on the notion of work-family balance. Megyn Kelly uncritically embraces this ideal, extolling the virtues of pursuing motherhood as enthusiastically as a career. Being both a doting mother and a tough, ambitious professional is what, for Kelly, “settling for more” ultimately means. For her part, Trump deploys the term “work/life rhythm” to describe the challenge involved in balancing the demands of being an involved parent and a successful businesswoman. And even the more liberal-leaning Slaughter’s overall message, while claiming to change the terms of the “have-it-all” debate by affirming care work, can be summed up as follows: women must learn to transform themselves — how they think, how they talk, how they plan and work and vote — before they can hope to craft a felicitous equilibrium between work and family life.

Post by Gargantua on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 pm

Review of David Runciman, The Confidence Trap: A History of Democracy in Crisis from World War I to the Present (Princeton, 2017).

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/01/david-runciman-democracy-european-union

The book’s main claim is that democracies suffer from a “confidence trap.” This is a version of the economists’ “moral hazard” problem, a regular concern for the insurance industry. Moral hazard occurs when responsibility for risky behavior is no longer with the risk-taker: buying life insurance may make someone feel more sanguine about going skydiving or canoeing through white-water rapids. Bailing out the banks may have seemed necessary to save the international financial system in 2008 but it also sent a message to the financial sector: any gains from risky behavior are yours but the losses will be socialized through public intervention.

For Runciman, democracies face their own moral-hazard dilemma. Their ability to survive a crisis by muddling through and adapting at the margin stokes the belief that democracies will always survive crises. This creates the kind of hubris that brings on the next crisis — hence, the confidence trap. When democracies learn that their mistakes are “reparable,” they also begin to think these mistakes may not matter very much. But there is no final reckoning for all these mistakes. The band-aids deployed by democracies are surprisingly durable. What the French call “le grand soir” amounts to little more than the myth of a “day of judgement” borrowed from Christian eschatology. Democracies stumble from one crisis to another, but without ever falling flat on their face.

An anti-essentialist message runs throughout the book. For the author, there is no underlying truth to democracy, no core revealed by the pressure of crisis. Instead, two contradictory impulses shape democratic politics — one towards fatalism, the other towards immediacy and hubris. The very desire to find an “essence” or “core” to democracy stokes the hubris that can do democracy so much damage.

Runciman makes this point by comparing two US presidents, Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Roosevelt made a virtue of acting incrementally and experimentally. Wilson, a cautious politician most of his life, attempted towards the end of his political career to “pin democracy down” with his Fourteen Points peace plan. For Runciman, he committed the fatal mistake of trying “to capture the democratic future in the present” — an act doomed to failure given that democratic systems are only interested in short-term considerations.

The message that perhaps comes out most clearly is that in a democracy, it is very dangerous to dream. Any attempt to transcend the immediacy of the political moment — the scandal, the next electoral test, the struggles within a cabinet or a political party — and advance a grand vision or plan for society is to attempt to tie democracy down with promises about what life might be like in the future. When Wilson shifted from pragmatist to dreamer, he was doomed. FDR survived by refusing to dream at all. JFK’s inability to rise above the electoral pressures during the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis is what saved the day. You cannot, argues Runciman, take democracy out of the present and pin it to any particular vision of the future.

But if we take a longer view of crises, and of change within democracies, we see there is a vital place for dreamers. Very few blueprints for change are implemented immediately. Most fall by the wayside, pushed aside by the constant jostling for position that is party politics. But ideas are picked up later, circumstances change, and new opportunities arise. Perhaps it was even these many different ideas about how to achieve the good life that made “democratic progress through adaptability” possible in the first place.

“Muddling through” only really works when it takes place amidst a real debate about how society should be organized.
What looks like pragmatic adaptability on the surface is really the struggle — and resulting compromises — between competing interests and competing visions. When raised to the level of an end in itself, muddling through works less well — and that is the problem we have today. Dreaming in a democracy may be dangerous, but we need such dreams if democracy is to survive.

Last edited by Gargantua on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Sotir on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Đe je bold?
Nisi se valjda odrekao signature move-a zbog jednog komentara?

Post by Gargantua on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Post by Sotir on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 pm

Vidi se da radiš na silu, preskočio si F i D.
Gde ti je nestao onaj polet od ranije?

Eh disidente, onakvog čoveka upropasti....

Post by William Murderface on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:22 pm

The Donald Trump of Philosophy

Indeed, The Genius of Judaism is the work of a man lost in love for his own voice, for his own self, whose media success has enabled him to delude himself that he has something valid to say and, even more, is a providential figure to whom the world needs to pay heed. If the words “I” and “me” were erased from his vocabulary he would be reduced to silence. He is the Donald Trump of philosophy.
Somewhere in the middle of the book, Lévy makes the absolutely groundless assertion =– one among thousands –- that “I do not know of a single Jew in the world for whom the presence of Israel is not a promise –- perhaps a promise deferred, but a promise nonetheless.” I look forward to the day I meet BHL, so that he will not only know of, but know a Jew for whom Israel is not a promise. If he’d like, I can provide him with a list of Jews of my acquaintance who also deny Israel is a land of promise. Let him speak for and embarrass himself, but leave the mass of Jews out of it.

_____
"Oni kroz mene gledaju u vas! Oni kroz njega gledaju u vas! Oni kroz vas gledaju u mene... i u sve nas."

Dragoslav Bokan, Novi putevi oftalmologije

Post by bruno sulak on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm

gargantua da li je ovaj runciman rodjak stevenu runcimanu?

_____
The law provides us structure to guide us through paralyzing and trying times. But it requires us a vision to its procedures and higher purposes. Before we assume our respective roles in this enduring drama just let me say that when these frail shadows we inhabit now have quit the stage we'll meet and raise a glass again together in Valhalla.

Post by bruno sulak on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:40 pm

necak. gugl je moj prijatelj. onaj runciman vizantolig je bio valjda nezenja sto je engleski za homoseksualac.

_____
The law provides us structure to guide us through paralyzing and trying times. But it requires us a vision to its procedures and higher purposes. Before we assume our respective roles in this enduring drama just let me say that when these frail shadows we inhabit now have quit the stage we'll meet and raise a glass again together in Valhalla.

Post by William Murderface on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:41 pm

_____
"Oni kroz mene gledaju u vas! Oni kroz njega gledaju u vas! Oni kroz vas gledaju u mene... i u sve nas."

Post by Gargantua on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:03 am

http://istorija20veka.rs/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018_1_12_prikaz_200-203.pdf

Bojan Dimitrijević, pohvalno o Miri Bogdanović i njenoj kritici Latinke :kafa:

Post by bruno sulak on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 am

_____

Post by bruno sulak on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:45 am

super mi je sto je u fazonu ako apstrahujemo da je autor levicar odlicno stivo - CRKNI LATINKA!

_____

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:02 pm

More Equal than Others

Srinavasan o novoj Waldronovoj knjizi.

Post by William Murderface on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Odlična kao i uvek.

Ovo je razbijanje:

Waldron is insistent that basic equality, despite its status as a second-order principle, is morally demanding. It requires us, he writes, to “insist unflinchingly that the benefit of basic principles of human worth and human dignity accrues equally to every human being.” His central example is a decision made by the Israeli Supreme Court in 2005 on targeted killings of Palestinians, including those not directly involved in terrorist activities. In his opinion, Supreme Court President Emeritus Aharon Barak argued that a ruling on the question had to respect the fact that “unlawful combatants are not beyond the law. They are not ‘outlaws.’ God created them as well in his image. Their human dignity as well is to be honored.” Barak went on to argue for an expanded notion of what counts as “direct participation” in terrorist activity, so as to make Israel’s killings compatible with international customary law. The other justices concurred. Waldron finds Barak’s invocation of basic equality moving, a sign of “the hard and desperately difficult work” that the principle does. A skeptic might think it a prime example of how talk of basic human equality can be used to dignify profound inhumanity.

_____

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:30 am

Sean Guillory o dve knjige koje se tiču diplomatskih odnosa SŠA-Rusija/SSSR

nisam znao za ovo, mind znači blown:

Post by Filipenko on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:53 am

Pa naravno da je Lenjin nudio svaku opciju mira, kada je planirao svo vreme da čim ojača počisti to sve Crvenom Armijom i po mogućstvu potpali svetsku revoluciju. Ništa čudno, ništa neviđeno, ništa što već nismo znali. Nije postojao taj mir koji ne bi ponudio svakome kako bi ga bolje posle predaha i odmora pritegao bičevima crvenih konjanika.

Meni je najjače kada krenu da pričaju kako je eto Lenjin potpisao Brest Litovski mir, kako su se Rusi povukli, kako ovo, kako ono, a kada ih pitam pa ko je vratio sve te teritorije u SSSR bukvalno kroz 6 meseci - isti taj Lenjin, ista ta Crvena Armija, gledaju belo i ne razumeju. Srbi obožavaju mastilo na papiru, misle da je u njemu odgovor na sva pitanja i da se sudbina sveta odlučuje u nekim mračnim sobama zadimljenim od cigareta što na pivo i radžu zaudaraše. Potpuno bi isto bilo i ovde. Potpisao bi šta god da dobije predah, a onda bi pustio sa lanca Tuhačevskog, Jegorova, Buđonija, Frunzea i za njima poslao Staljina i Vorošilova u asanaciju terena.

Post by Gargantua on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:36 pm

https://irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/04/26/book-review-the-road-to-unfreedom/

‘On or about April 2010, human character changed’. So writes Timothy Snyder on page 6 of The Road to Unfreedom. It’s typical of his style: grand, sweeping generalizations stated as absolute truths without any supporting evidence. I must admit that I personally can’t see any such change in the human character, let alone on such a specific date, but Snyder believes it to be true. Then, or thenabouts, he says, the world began to transition from what he calls the ‘politics of inevitability’ to the ‘politics of eternity’.

These two terms provide the theoretical framework for Snyder’s analysis. Unfortunately, he never defines them very clearly, nor do we get any sense of these ideas come from. The politics of inevitability, Snyder says, is ‘a sense that the future is just more of the present, that the laws of progress are known, that there are no alternatives.’ ‘By contrast, the politics of eternity ‘places one nation at the center of a cyclical story of victimhood. Time is no longer a line into the future, but a circle that endlessly returns the same threats from the past. … Progress gives way to doom.’ Snyder claims that, ‘eternity politicians manufacture crises and manipulate the resultant emotion. … belittle and undo the achievements of countries that might seem like models to their own citizens.’ He then adds that, ‘Inevitability and eternity have specific propaganda styles. Inevitability politicians spin facts into a web of well-being. Eternity politicians suppress facts in order to dismiss the reality that people are freer and richer in other countries.’

Post by KinderLad on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 am

Snyder se bavi propagandom. Medjutim, i ovaj covek se bavi propagandom. Mislim pregledao sam mu blogove jos ranije, jbg.

Post by William Murderface on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:19 am

Ne znam sto je morao da izmislja nove reci za liberalizam i fasizam.

_____

Post by KinderLad on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:40 am

pa da bi napisao knjigu

Post by KinderLad on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:44 am

Doduše, mislim da je Politics of inevitability generalno drugo ime za progresivizam, tj da bi se tu pod određenim uslovima osim liberalizma (koji čak i nije uvek u toj formi, mislim ako ne gledamo samo US) našao i socijalizam. Za Pol. of eternity se slažem.

Post by Gargantua on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Priličan burn

Rejoice. Bremmer, for those of you unfamiliar with his work, is the political scientist who heads up Eurasia Group, the consultancy best known for mansplaining politics to the world’s business and political leaders in a way that manages to get most of the big calls wrong. He’s the man with his finger just off the pulse. In recent years, Bremmer’s firm has predicted a Remain victory in the Brexit referendum and a Hillary Clinton presidency (“U.S. voters won’t elect a president who will close the country to Muslims,” he asserted in early 2016), while failing to anticipate any of the big one-off convulsions that have rocked the emerging markets—such as Brazil’s Operation Car Wash scandal or the 2016 coup attempt in Turkey. Bremmer’s only good predictions are the ones he’s perhaps most fond of: predictions with a 100 percent probability of success. Explaining how a sustainable new global order is likely to emerge, for instance, he once said that individual countries’ governments “will work together, or act separately.”

https://thebaffler.com/latest/us-vs-him-timms

Post by Gargantua on Fri May 04, 2018 7:23 am

William Murderface wrote:Ne znam sto je morao da izmislja nove reci za liberalizam i fasizam.

A central theme in The Road to Unfreedom is an opposition between what Snyder calls the “politics of inevitability” and the “politics of eternity.” The first, embodied by the United States pre-Trump, is a linear “end of history” idea that the world is moving inexorably toward liberal democratic capitalism, and that there is thus no need to worry about the shortcomings of the existing system (such as mounting economic inequality and a feeling of disenfranchisement among ordinary people). The fatal weakness of the “politics of inevitability” is that it is incapable of taking seriously the many signs that liberal democracy is not inevitable, and that it is in fact becoming increasingly vulnerable. In Snyder’s view, this is the weakness that made Trump’s election, Brexit, and the rise of the anti-EU far right possible, and that Russia exploited.

In “the politics of eternity,” which Snyder identifies with Russia and with “fascism” in general, politics is a cycle of victimhood in which “no one is responsible because we all know that the enemy is coming no matter what we do…progress gives way to doom.” Eternity politics sounds a lot like cable news: “To distract from their inability or unwillingness to reform, eternity politicians instruct their citizens to experience elation and outrage at short intervals, drowning the future in the present.” The great risk, in Snyder’s eyes, is that the blindness of the politics of inevitability will give way to the nihilism of the politics of eternity. This is a remarkably reductive explanatory framework, especially for a historian who built his career on the study of the intricacies and contingencies that shaped Eastern Europe.

Another kind of peril lies in the prose produced by this theory: “Eternity arises from inevitability like a ghost from a corpse,” Snyder tells us. “The natural successor of the veil of inevitability is the shroud of eternity, but there are alternatives that must be found before the shroud drops. If we accept eternity, we sacrifice individuality, and will no longer see possibility. Eternity is another idea that says that there are no ideas.” Snyder is especially fond of inversions (“Perhaps we are slipping from one sense of time to another because we do not see how history makes us, and how we make history”; “Must any attempt at novelty be met with the cliché of force and the force of cliché?”) and sentences that consist entirely of rhythmic abstractions that convey very little (“As we emerge from inevitability and contend with eternity, a history of disintegration can be a guide to repair”). One of his favorite images in the book is the abyss: so empty and so frightening. This gives us “Having transformed the future into an abyss, Putin had to make flailing at its edge look like judo,” but also “Under the mistaken impression that they had a history as a nation-state, the British (the English, mainly) voted themselves into an abyss where Russia awaited.” Truly the abyss swallows up all meaning.

https://www.thenation.com/article/timothy-snyder-zombie-history/

Post by KinderLad on Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 am

Moracu da procitam knjigu, ali izdaleka mi se cini da je taj deo o politics of inevitability/politics of eternity bolji deo knjige u odnosu na ovo o Rusiji i ovo o opijatima. Posebno u odnosu na ovo o opijatima. Mislim, konkretno ova kritika mi malo izgleda nekompetentna. S jedne strane, s pravom, sere Snajderu sto ne vidi realpolitiku u Ruskom ponasanju oko Ukrajine, medjutim s druge strane ne prihvata realpolitiku kao glavnu motivaciju americkog establismenta u popustljivosti prema zahtevima za rasnom jednakoscu i sindikatima. You can't have it both ways.

Snajder se svakako bavi propagandom, ali ovo se zove "milking it"

The Cold War did, of course, play an important role in midcentury American politics. But this notion of American politics as a game between two rival states ignores the essential role played by non-state organizers and activists.

A Snajder je rekao

That’s actually related to the Cold War. It’s related to the fact that the United States couldn’t allow the Soviet Union to make too much of our racial and class problems.

U sustini ista stvar.

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:29 pm