Prikazi knjiga

Prikazi knjiga

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:45 pm

internet je super jer tu ima da se nađe puno prikaza raznih knjiga.
rivjuovi informativni, zlobni, duhoviti, duboki, glupi, svakakvi. super forma, i to ne samo zato što možeš da se praviš da si pročitao nešto što nisi.

dakle kačite sve što preporučujete, a ja ću da počnem sa:

najboljim rivjuom cele 2016. obavezna lektira!

And here we are. We’ve had our laughs at the expense of Wolfe and Everett and the journalists that fawn over them, but if you think about it, it really isn’t funny.

One of the greatest scientists of our lifetime has embarked upon a fascinating research program. The program is exploring a property of human nature – the language faculty – and he is attempting to show how a half-century of research by thousands of linguists from around the world can be grounded in low-level mathematical and biophysical properties of our world. And whether that program is successful or not, it is a vision of remarkable beauty – the recursive patterns of our languages and their variety and complexity could be understood perhaps as well as we now understand the spiral patterns in the nautilus shell or the recursive patterns of the snowflake.

He came to us with that gift. He did not ask us to believe him, nor did he insist that we engage in that project ourselves. He simply told us what his project was and invited us to join him. And all we as a culture could do in our upscale magazines and newspapers and blogs was shit all over the man and clog the conversation with an endless stream of transparent gibberish from obvious charlatans. This is why we can’t have nice things.

najbolji autor rivjuova mlađe generacije, Amia Srinivasan ( ) u dva izdanja:

protivu Marte Nusbaum:

The problem with this common refrain is not simply that it underestimates, as Nussbaum does, the psychic and political benefits of anger. By focusing wholly on anger’s consequences, it also obscures the fact that even counterproductive anger might well be justified. Sometimes anger is the appropriate response to the world, a way of seeing how things are and how they ought to be, even if it is not the response that will make the world better. Indeed, one might think that victims of injustice are often caught in a bind between getting justifiably angry and not making things worse. Consider, for example, the black parents who must choose between validating their children’s outrage at the police and keeping their children alive.

Nussbaum’s message that the oppressed shouldn’t get angry because doing so is “counterproductive” entrenches the status quo by obscuring the causes of anger’s counterproductivity. The anger of women, or black 
people, or gays, or Palestinians is counterproductive—on those occasions when it is—because those in power have made it so. It is a matter of contingency, after all, that angry women are “bitches” and angry black people “thugs”; a matter of contingency that women’s and black people’s anger is dismissed as evidence of their inferiority and used as an excuse to bar them from public life, while the anger of white men (as we’ve seen in the aftermath of Trump’s election) is presumed to have good cause.

i protivu "efektivnog altruizma":

But the book’s snappy style isn’t just a strategic choice. MacAskill is evidently comfortable with ways of talking that are familiar from the exponents of global capitalism: the will to quantify, the essential comparability of all goods and all evils, the obsession with productivity and efficiency, the conviction that there is a happy convergence between self-interest and morality, the seeming confidence that there is no crisis whose solution is beyond the ingenuity of man. He repeatedly talks about philanthropy as a deal too good to pass up: ‘It’s like a 99 per cent off sale, or buy one, get 99 free. It might be the most amazing deal you’ll see in your life.’ There is a seemingly unanswerable logic, at once natural and magical, simple and totalising, to both global capitalism and effective altruism. That he speaks in the proprietary language of the illness – global inequality – whose symptoms he proposes to mop up is an irony on which he doesn’t comment. Perhaps he senses that his potential followers – privileged, ambitious millennials – don’t want to hear about the iniquities of the system that has shaped their worldview. Or perhaps he thinks there’s no irony here at all: capitalism, as always, produces the means of its own correction, and effective altruism is just the latest instance.

rivjuovi iz kojih ne mora ništa da se nauči al su zabavna satiranja autora:

Taibijevo uništavanje Fridman Toma

God bless this man. May he never stop writing books.

i The worst Mozart biography ever

Paul Johnson starts frustrating the reader of his Mozart-narrative early on when, six pages (of just 138 net pages, excluding the Appendix written by his son Daniel) in, he hits upon the topic of humor in music. Mozart would indeed make a splendid case study for this, given his wildly diverse sense of musical humor, from blush-worthy crude to utmost sophistication. Johnson whets our appetite, hinting at Mozart’s special ability in this department and how he learned it from his father Leopold. Then he claims bewilderingly that this is a specifically Bavarian specialty. In doing so, he links Mozart – who always lived in (then) independent Salzburg or Austria – and his father, who left Bavaria at age 18 – to “Mozart’s alter ego, the Bavarian joker Richard Strauss”. Perhaps more damning and telling of things to come, Johnson backs this up by suggesting that jokes “like Papageno’s in The Magic Flute” are as easy to get as those in “Strauss’s last ten bars of Die Fledermaus”. If you haven’t cringed already: Die Fledermaus was written by (Viennese) Johann Strauss Jr. (1825-1899), not Richard Strauss (1864-1949).

Re: Prikazi knjiga

Post by William Murderface on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Odlicna je Srinivasan! Citao sam oba teksta ( mislim da sam ovaj contra Singera i kacio negde). Tako se pise kitika!

_____
"Oni kroz mene gledaju u vas! Oni kroz njega gledaju u vas! Oni kroz vas gledaju u mene... i u sve nas."

Dragoslav Bokan, Novi putevi oftalmologije

Post by William Murderface on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Odlican topik inace! Bravo!

Nije prikaz ali je o prikazima.
Death of a Hatchet Job

This is not a complaint about the Spectator, the Guardian or the Literary Review, nor, indeed, about my current sponsor, all of which are edited with tact, dash and discrimination and are consistently excellent in their books-world coverage. It is merely to note that a literary culture whose tough-mindedness 20 years ago often verged on outright cruelty, has turned horribly emollient, to the point where it sometimes seems that books are not so much criticised, favourably or unfavourably, as simply endorsed. Interestingly, the suspicion that the review pages exist only to bring good news to the true believer has crossed over into other areas of the arts. The music magazines Mojo and Uncut often carry letters from readers complaining that virtually every new album under review gets three or four stars out of five, or seven or eight marks out of ten, and surely they can’t all be that good?

_____
"Oni kroz mene gledaju u vas! Oni kroz njega gledaju u vas! Oni kroz vas gledaju u mene... i u sve nas."

Post by William Murderface on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:05 pm

Dead Center

Chait has been less successful at interpreting the left, which in his analysis becomes an undifferentiated mass of rabid Marxists, politically correct ideologues, and postmodern academics. Rather than attacking these distinct factions at their strongest points, he lumps them together as products of the illiberal left, and then takes fire at the caricature he has drawn. “Marxist theory does not care about individual rights,” his readers learn, while, “Political correctness borrows its illiberal model of political discourse from Marxism”—as if Marxist theory and political correctness are buddies who meet up for drinks to plot the demise of free speech.

Chait has also used this method to explain his own politics. In Chait’s telling, “The historical record of American liberalism, which has extended social freedoms to blacks, Jews, gays, and women, is glorious.” Again, a complex philosophy brimming with internal tensions and burdened with a complex history becomes a notion simple enough to serve as a weapon. In this case, the process of simplification works in liberalism’s favor, turning it into a parent that hands out gifts (“social freedoms”) to its obedient children (“blacks, Jews, gays, and women”). Time and again, Chait sends out stick figures—liberalism, Marxism, political correctness, conservatism—to do battle while he provides snarky commentary from the sidelines.

_____

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Fri May 12, 2017 10:02 am

nije baš sasvim čist rivju, ali mislim da spada ovde.
Miya Tokumitsu, United States of Work

Anderson’s most provocative argument is that large companies, the institutions that employ most workers, amount to a de facto form of government, exerting massive and intrusive power in our daily lives. Unlike the state, these private governments are able to wield power with little oversight, because the executives and boards of directors that rule them are accountable to no one but themselves. Although they exercise their power to varying degrees and through both direct and “soft” means, employers can dictate how we dress and style our hair, when we eat, when (and if) we may use the toilet, with whom we may partner and under what arrangements. Employers may subject our bodies to drug tests; monitor our speech both on and off the job; require us to answer questionnaires about our exercise habits, off-hours alcohol consumption, and childbearing intentions; and rifle through our belongings. If the state held such sweeping powers, Anderson argues, we would probably not consider ourselves free men and women.

James Livingston, a historian at Rutgers, goes one step further in No More Work: Why Full Employment Is a Bad Idea. Instead of insisting on jobs for all or proposing that we hold employers to higher standards, Livingston argues, we should just scrap work altogether.
Livingston’s vision is the more radical of the two; his book is a wide-ranging polemic that frequently delivers the refrain “Fuck work.” But in original ways, both books make a powerful claim: that our lives today are ruled, above all, by work. We can try to convince ourselves that we are free, but as long as we must submit to the increasing authority of our employers and the labor market, we are not. We therefore fancy that we want to work, that work grounds our character, that markets encompass the possible. We are unable to imagine what a full life could be, much less to live one. Even more radically, both books highlight the dramatic and alarming changes that work has undergone over the past century—insisting that, in often unseen ways, the changing nature of work threatens the fundamental ideals of democracy: equality and freedom.

(evo je Miya i na chapou kako priča o istoj temi)

Post by William Murderface on Mon May 15, 2017 2:46 pm

New Republic, iznenadjuce pozitivno o Badijuovoj novoj knjizi.

https://newrepublic.com/article/142695/french-philosopher-considers-kids

_____

Post by Daï Djakman Faré on Mon May 15, 2017 3:16 pm

ovo je super

Unlike boys, Badiou doesn’t see girls as stuck in childhood. Rather, they are always already adults. “Basically, the idea is that not only can women do everything men do, but, under the conditions of capitalism, they can do it better than men,” Badiou writes, “They’ll be more realistic than men, more relentless, more tenacious. Why? Precisely because girls no longer have to become the women that they already are, while boys don’t know how to become the men that they are not.”

_____
is the body not billow in veil of light ?
is it not a vast beast comprised of atomic christs ?

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:24 pm

evo da obradujem zaga za vikend, neko se našo da očepi Tanahasija Koutsa za onu prošlogodišnju knjigu:

Coates sees common interest between the Black elite and the Black poor, as he marvels at “the entire diaspora,” from lawyers to street hustlers, present at Howard’s homecoming. Yet he cannot conceive of anti-capitalist class solidarity across racial identity. He has a darker vision, of a kind that Corey Robin has described as “apocalypticism.” Coates’s ultimate hope is not in collective human action, but rather the total annihilation of the world and all those living in it— another feature that unites him with Afro-pessimism, which calls explicitly for the “end of the world.” As he says of the Dreamers, “the field for their Dream, the stage where they have painted themselves white, is the deathbed of us all.” Paradoxically, though he can see a collective fate in apocalypse, he rejects shared struggle for liberation. “The Dreamers will have to learn to struggle themselves,” he declares.

The problem is, the whole of capitalist enterprise, both past and present, cannot be reduced to race as Original Sin, and its poisoning of all existence. Left out of Coates’s mythology is the fact that colonial enterprise, in what would become the United States, relied first on European indentured servants, most of whom died within a handful of years after arriving on the continent. It’s Coates’s reading of race as sin that pushes him to imagine quasi-salvation in the fantasy of apocalypse. In this racial fatalism, reparations for slavery emerges as the anticipation of the inevitable Judgement Day. It is therefore no surprise that Coates has taken up racial reparations as his cross to bear, not to change the world, but to condemn it.
ceo tekst je odličan

Post by William Murderface on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:18 pm

_____

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 pm

The Complacent Intellectual Class

razbivanje

I would like to coin a phrase, the complacent intellectual class, to describe the overwhelming number of pundits, thought leaders, and policy wonks who accept, welcome, or even enforce slovenly scholarship. These people might, in the abstract, like research that maintains the highest standards, they might even consider themselves academics or bona fide researchers, when in fact they have lost the capacity of maintaining even the most basic standards of rigor.

I am motivated to do so after reading Tyler Cowen’s new book The Complacent Class: The Self-Defeating Quest for the American Dream. I propose the term with some trepidation. Cowen—a George Mason University economist, libertarian theorist, and “legendary blogger” (to quote the book’s inset)—is often a smart commentator who puts his finger on a lot of interesting social phenomena, introduces novel ideas, and proves worth reading from time to time.

But books are different from blog posts and op-eds. And this book fails so glaringly that it makes me despair for this country’s literary culture and intellectual life in general. So let me use Cowen’s latest venture to illustrate what we should all demand from the work of our intellectual class, lest our nation continue to vegetate in the pretend-thinking of #AspenIdeas pseudo-academia.

Post by William Murderface on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:02 am

Au, vaistinu razbivanje.

Kouen je negde na spektru na čijem se desnijem kraju nalazi Čarls Marej, pa onda Džonatan Hajt, tu je negde i Pinker. Nisu svi na istim pozicijama po svim pitanjima, ali im je zajedničko što uprkos svim ekonomskim, statističkim i ostalim vatrometima, na kraju krajeva, kompleksne društvene procese svode na petparačko psihologiziranje i moralisanje. Amerikanci su postali previše ______ (fill in the blank) i zbog toga nam ovako i ide!

_____

Post by паће on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:21 am

William Murderface wrote:Au, vaistinu razbivanje.

Ово сад може да се баци пилићима, довољно је ситно исецкано.

_____
чим кажу да бројке не лажу, тачно знам да баш онда лажу
I did it for your sake. Now give it to me. That sake of yours.

Post by Bluberi on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:36 am

Post by Gargantua on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:19 am

jooooj

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 am

Sama, pak, jednorečenična interpretacija motiva i teme izvanredne zbirke priča i drame Golubnjača toliko je tupoumna i na elementarno faktografskom nivou pogrešna da bi Avramoviću ipak trebalo predložiti da, šta znam, kupi lažnu bradu i periku

al je uživao Teofil

jel taj Avramović ono beše jedan od onih što su se otpadili od nspm-a kad je krenulo botovanje za Vučića?

Post by William Murderface on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:57 am

Taj.

_____

Post by паће on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 am

Bluberi wrote:Teofil 

Пилићи ће брзо порасти уз овакву исхрану.

_____
чим кажу да бројке не лажу, тачно знам да баш онда лажу
I did it for your sake. Now give it to me. That sake of yours.

Post by Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:15 pm